Tuesday, December 14, 2010

For me, the biggest downfall of studying abroad has been my classes. From the start, it was frustrating--from choosing classes, being satisfied, and now attending classes. I've always been skeptical of people who complain about professors...those people who seem the world sucks because they are getting screwed over by their professors, taking on the "whoa is me" attitude. Well...I guess that is because I've been fortune (until now) to have great professors in addition to being an over-achiever, study-crazy, GPA obsesses student. The other problem is I don't know how to study for anything but an A....it's annoying. I have 3/4 midterm grades back and I got a 90 or above on all of them. I didn't even stress though...so its weird...

Most of the professors here...well I am not a fan of them and they are not a fan of me.Talking about my academics here will probably bore you to death reading this. So I've try to give a brief overview.

Mythology and Religion: The only American professor, she is the most timid insecure teacher ever! She does not project a feeling of authority over us...Turkish students are known for talking in class and she quietly will mumble "shhhh" to them....almost inaudible to me in the front row! She likes to describe myths, architecture, and art as "weird." When someone asks a question to further explain a topic, her normal response is "we don't need to know that. It isn't important." Enough said...right? 

International Migration: This is a 400 level class. I have never taken an International Relations/Political Science course in my life. Perhaps this is one of my most difficult classes but I am interested in it. Migration affects every part of the world, but we tend to talk about the Turkish situation a lot...it's a really interesting topic of discussion. However the teacher is the most scatterbrained, unenthusiastic, unorganized professor. She assigned everyone partners for a move review assignment (20% of our total grade)...after more than half of the groups complained about not being able to find the designated movie, she said "Okay...well since the movie cannot be found...find your own movie, send me a description of how it relates and then I will decide if it is acceptable. Once you find your own movie, you can start the assignment." It probably doesn't sound that bad....but when the topic is limited to Turkish migration movies...there are only so many that work. Anyway--I finally found one: Kebab Connection. It's interesting. I have it on my computer if you ever want to watch it! :-D

Introduction to Turkish: No complaints except that the language is difficult. The professor is great!

Social Change: No major complaints. It's the only class with quizzes and the one day I have skipped was a quiz that that sort of sucked. We tend to focus of the Turkish situation as well. I am writing my final paper now (due Jan 7, 2011) and I am almost finished. My topic is the "missing girls" in India. It's interesting to learn about and extremely upsetting. Basically, women should outnumber men because biologically women are hardier. However, millions of girls go missing though the practices of female infanticide, feticide  thought sex-selective abortion, and nutritional and health care neglect in childhood. 

Intro to Dance: For those of you who know me well...you know I can't dance..AT ALL! So intro to dance sounded great..as I might LEARN something. Well turns out its modern dance so it's very different from what I expected. There is a lot of rolling around on the ground and jumping. We are suppose to close our eyes and "feel the water all around us." We crawl around and run around. At times it is ridiculous. So...whatever. I do as best I can. I don't know anyone in the class. The professor speaks in Turkish and then will tell me what to do in English. I don't really feel like a part of the class. A few times, I had to read the worksheets she brings because "I speak good English"..go figure! Anyway recently she has given us a weekly assignment to choreograph a dance using 9 shapes/movements. Its horrible. Last week though, I was the only one who did it. So the professor made me show everyone what I did...then gave us all 30 minutes to work on it...indeed I had to redo mine because "You didn't have this movement and you only used a little bit of space and blah blah blah." Okay. whatever. I worked on it again. Then there was only 20 minutes left in class and we were all suppose to perform. It was taking a long time for each person so after 3 people, there was only 10 minutes left. I figured since I had already gone once in front of everyone that I wouldn't need to go again. Ha. Right. She called my name and I had to do it again. Seriously....For me it's torture! 
I am 98% sure that have a medical condition--endometriosis. I don't complain about it all the time because what good is complaining gonna do. Well recently, and most unfortunately...my back pain has increased so much. It's so bad that it makes me nauseous and makes it really difficult to do anything. The other day, I tried to lift a book off my bed and I felt paralyzed for my lower back up. I get shooting pains down my legs. Yea its messed up and I know I need to get it taken car of when I get back to the states. I told my professor about my issue and thankfully she is willing to work with me. Seriously though...I don't complain about pain. I have a high tolerance until I just can't do it. It sucks because this rolling and jumping, hooting and hollering crap is NOT helping my issue. 

Ok then....enough of the boring update. I only have 25 days left in Turkey. For 8 of the days, I will be away...Germany for Christmas and Bulgaria for New Years....life is good. I'm going to miss Istanbul...a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment