Sunday, October 31, 2010

Thank God for Big Sisters!

I was really starting to feel homesick and stressed. I was frustrated with school & the language barrier has tested my patience...

The timing was perfect for Mikita to be in Istanbul! She was she for over a week...and I spent 4 nights with her! We had so much fun! She had done a lot of site seeing when I was in class but we did a fair amount too!
  • Went to Taksim every night to eat/drink/meet up with friends
  • Princess Islands [Biked around the island, walked up to the church, had a picnic]
  • Got off the Ferry at Kadakoy, the Asian side. Went to a candy shop [Mikita bought lots of Turkish delights]
  • Walked under the bridge with all the restaurants in Eminou
  • Met up with Mikita's friend Emra whom she met on the airplane to Istanbul.. [We met at a Gay Bar, FLAVIO--we definitely got free shots and then half price drinks!]
  • Went to Dolmabace Palace gardens [too expensive for both of us to go inside the palace]
  • Istanbul Modern-Art Museum....so good! [Women artists depicting ways women are objectified in Turkish culture.] [Fashion Exhibit] [Hanging books in the library....so neat! I will replicate this in my house some day...we couldn't take pictures but it was such a unique idea]
  • Walked to Tophane. Ate a potato and did HOOKAH and played BACKGAMMON! It was a very Turkish afternoon!
Mikita took tons of pictures and once she posts them, I will upload a few! She has a much better camera than I do so I let her be the photographer of the excursions!


On Sunday morning, we woke up early and went on a quest to find a Turkish Hamam [bathe]. We both had no idea what to expect. However, we quickly found out! Via hand signals, we were told to put on their wooden shoes and wear the towel...NOTHING ELSE. We both were pretty uncomfortable doing that, hoping we could wear shorts and a tank top since we did not bring our swim suits. However, we did as we were told. And low and behold, we walked into a room of naked women. I won't speak for Mikita, but it was an uncomfortable feeling. After the shock of the cultural experience I was undergoing, I allowed myself to forget about the awkwardness and enjoyed the experience of a Turkish Hamam. We sat in the sauna room until the Hamam worker-ladies were finished with their "patient" and when it was our turn we moved to the middle of the room, to a square hot stone. We got a skin scrub and afterward, our skin was so soft and smooth... There was no limit to how long you can stay in the sauna--Mikita and I stayed for about 1.5 hours...and then we left.


WOW...that was the most culturally shocking experience I have yet to experience in Turkey. I enjoyed it and recommend it to others, but lets just say I am glad I went with someone I knew...and not my new friends here...


We decided to walk to Ortakoy (4miles?) to get another famous Potato...and then we were going to go back to Koc University but the buses took forever. So we said our goodbyes: I went back to Koc U. and Mikita went back to the hostel for one more night.... 

I am going to London Nov 11-17 to visit her! It was so great to have a taste of family/home in Istanbul for the week. Don't get me wrong--I love Istanbul. I am having the time of my life....but I admit to homesickness. I am lucky because in 3 weeks I see the rest of my family! :-D


Life is good.



No comments:

Post a Comment